Buy Wine Mestizaje
Mestizaje is a blend of mostly Bobal grapes complemented with a small proportion of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Grenache. The grapes are vinified separately, both the different varieties and the different plots of land. All undergo a malolactic fermentation for 4 weeks in barrels with periodic battonage (stirring). This wine is aged for 9 months in French oak barrels.
- Wine Tasting Notes:
Colour: Picota cherry colour with violet reflections. Clean and bright. Slightly tinted dense tears stain the glass.
Nose: A fragrant and expressive nose of medium-high intensity. Ripe red and black fruit prevail accompanied by toasted and roasted notes, nuances of aromatic herbs, floral notes, lactic touches, spices with minerals and limestone in the background. A harmonious and lively nose.
Taste: This wine shows wide and fresh attack and is silky on the palate with a heavy charge of tasty, juicy fruit, complemented by ripe, sweet, polished tannins and a great acidity bringing freshness to the wine. A long finish with medium-high persistence and nice toasted, fruity notes that encourage another sip. A round, expressive, pleasant red wine, a safe bet.
New vintage of this red wine produced by Mustiguillo Viñedos & Bodega, a family run winery that produces their wines from one single plot of land (87 hectares of vineyards and other fields), situated in Terrerazo, in Utiel (Valencia). The individuality of their wines, made with the come-back grape variety Bobal, earned them the certification of Vino de Pago (DOP) El Terrerazo.
Mestizaje is the lowest priced wine from Mustiguillo, yet still allowing us to appreciate fully the superb treatment that the Bobal variety receives at this outstanding winery.
Its name originates from the idea of fusing traditional wine-making methods and the most contemporary techniques in cultivation, combining vineyards of bush vines with some singularly innovative ways of planting, mixing Bobal (the local grape) with foreign varieties.
Mestizaje offers a most original coupage, a blend of five different varietals, which makes for a very interesting wine. Each variety undergoes fermentation separately in stainless steel tanks or wooden vats. After resting for three months in wooden tanks, the wine is transferred to previously used French oak barrels where it remains for a further eighteen months.
- Wine region: El Terrerazo (Spain)
- Producer: Mustiguillo
- Grapes: Bobal, Tempranillo, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot y Garnacha.
- Ratings / Awards:
2008: Guía Peñín : 90
2009: Guía Peñín : 91
2010: Guía Peñín : 91
2011: Guía Peñín : 91
2012: Guía Peñín : 92 / Robert Parker : 90
2013: Guía Peñín : 92
- Vino de España
- Wine Making (Spanish)
- Bobal, Tempranillo, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot y Garnacha.
- Bodegas Mustiguillo
- Wine Region
- El Terrerazo,Utiel (Valencia)
- Vineyard (Spanish)
- Tradicional con conducción en vaso en secano con labranzas. Moderna con espaldera y lira con riego monitorizado de "planta-clima-suelo". Cubiertas vegetales. Máximo respeto al medio ambiente. Viñedo en conversión a Agricultura Ecológica.
- Wine Type
- 10 meses
- Rojo cereza picota.
- Intensidad aromática media-alta. Fruta roja, aparecen notas de cereza, frambuesa y fresas, ligeras notas tostadas, sensación de frescura.
- Entrada muy agradable, cremosa. Es aterciopelado estructura media, taninos redondos y suaves. Final largo y fresco.
- Food Pairing
- Aves, pastas, embutidos, quesos no muy curados, caza menor.